London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love Series #2) by Suzanne Enoch

London's Perfect Scoundrel - Suzanne Enoch

London’s Perfect Scoundrel is the second book in Enoch’s Lessons in Love series. I haven’t been reading this series in order. I read the third book before this one, but they can be read as stand-alones, as each book concentrates on a different couple.

Speaking of historical romance, one thing that I am generally annoyed with is when the pure and decent heroine surrenders to the main protagonist almost without any resistance. This bothers me in this novel, too. I did not like Evie very much in the beginning – she is innocent and well-behaved, smart, and kind-hearted, but she is also naïve and has to learn a lot about people. Also, I was mad at her for letting her brother boss her around and treat her as a stupid, silly girl.

Nevertheless, I grew to like Evie, as she gradually developed into a confident woman who stands for what she believes. St. Aubyn is the very opposite of Evie. He is a selfish man, looking only for his own pleasure, be it in drinking, eating, gambling, and especially chasing women. It is always amusing to me how this kind of a hero is always stunningly good-looking in historical romances, despite the fact that the above lifestyle would have a devastating effect on one’s health and appearance. Naturally, after meeting Evie, St. Aubyn slowly mends his ways and discovers the joys of being good and falling in love.

Enoch builds Evie’s and St. Aubyn’s relationship convincingly, and I love the dynamics between them. There is plenty of sparkling, the dialogues are funny, and the last line is a killer. I want more. I guess I will have to pick up another one of Enoch’s books soon.

RECOMMENDATION: This is a perfect book for when a girl needs some warm and fuzzy relaxation read that makes her laugh.